September 2019

No Image

NCADs decision not to replace a furnace tells a bigger story about

first_imgTHE NATIONAL COLLEGE of Art and Design has told students studying glass that it will not replace a furnace used in glass blowing – because of a shortage of resources.The previous furnace had broken down in early October of last year. Students in their last year of the subject had arrangements made in Leitrim and Waterford to use facilities there.In a letter sent to students on the course, the Director of NCAD Professor Declan McGonagle says that the college remains committed to teaching the medium, but says the decision came down to resources.“We will return to the furnace issue when we have set out a new development process for Glass at NCAD, that is viable in teaching and learning, technical, staffing and financial terms, in the context of the new configuration in Fine Art, relative to Design.“The only source of capital resourcing for a furnace would have been from the income generated by areas of Design and there have been a range of substantial calls on that funding already. Neither has it been possible to confirm that the ongoing operation of a furnace and related activities could have been carried on, in the immediate future and with our current staffing resources, without the possibility of straying across Health and Safety limits in the longer term.”Speaking to TheJournal.ie, McGonagle said that the college hasn’t received capital investment for four years.“We would struggle to find the capital involved in finding a furnace, installing one and running it. There are areas in design that have been commercially successful and we had in mind to use that money but other calls meant that is not feasible.“There are real financial pressures in the sector and the college.“The board is keen that there be a future for glass, that it not suffer alone.”McGonagle added that meetings will take place to discuss the future of the subject.SufferingNoel Kelly of Visual Artists Ireland said that he felt sympathy for NCAD and that the loss of the furnace would be a “negative”.He said, however, that the story was a smaller case in a bigger tale.“More specialised areas are the ones that get shelved first. If more people want to do, for example, ceramics and only a few want to do something else, then the one that wins is ceramics.“It’s a business decision, but that’s a pity. Business decisions made in arts are damaging because it restricts creativity.“Funding for the arts has been very difficult in general. There have been no calls for capital funding in four year and artists studios are suffering across the country because of that.”Read: Calling all harpers: The Arts Council wants youlast_img read more


No Image

Two ambulances break down in Louth in 24 hours

first_imgTHE HSE HAS confirmed that two ambulances broke down in Louth over the course of 24 hours at the weekend.In one case, paramedics were transporting a cardiac arrest patient from their home in Dundalk. They left the house with the patient at 12.07am on Sunday morning and noticed a light activated on the dashboard warning panel en route.They requested another ambulance which the National Ambulance Service (NAS) said was dispatched immediately. It was 1.10am before the patient arrived at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital.However the NAS that the patient was cared for by two paramedics while waiting for the replacement ambulance to arrive from Ardee.In a separate incident, an ambulance had mechanical difficulties on Saturday afternoon on return from Dundalk to Drogheda. There was no patient on board at the time. The vehicle was taken to a garage for repair and the NAS said there was no impact on service delivery.The two ambulances involved in these incidents are currently out of service but the NAS said the capacity to respond to emergency calls has not be comprised as a result.This brings the number of ambulance breakdowns in this HSE area to three in the last month. Less than two weeks ago, an ambulance carrying a life support patient lost power on the M1 motorway and the HSE said there would be an investigation into the incident.A paramedic working in the area told TheJournal.ie they were concerned about patient safety and about the safety of the paramedics driving the ambulances. They said there is a problem with old vehicles in the fleet which have been repaired and repaired again instead of being replaced with newer models.“Unfortunately, I think it will take a tragedy to occur for the National Ambulance Service to act on it,” they commented.Read: Ambulance breaks down with life support patient on board>Read: Crew and patient forced to flee after ambulance catches fire>Read: Crew injured after ambulance crashes into wall>last_img read more


No Image

Dell updates Alienware M17x to its 3rd revision

first_imgAmong all the mobile phones and tablet news from CES, you might be surprised to learn that a company revealed–gasp–a laptop, but Dell did just that. At the show they unveiled the latest revision to the M17x, with a 3D display and Intel’s hot new Sandy Bridge components. It’s an evolutionary step for Alienware’s flagship (and one we saw coming), but it’s also a highly acclaimed system that isn’t in need of an overhaul.Changes from the previous M17x include Intel’s new P67 chipset, and the use of Nvidia GTX 460M, ATI HD6870M, or HD6970M graphics. Of course there are new Sandy Bridge Core i5 and Core i7 processors, but there is also Wireless HD streaming so that you can shift your movies and games over to the big screen at up to 1080p. And the perks don’t end there, the M17x will also have a 3D-capable 1920×1080 display option for users looking for a high-end 120Hz panel.The exterior of the computer seems to be about the same, though the grill pieces on the front corners are now accented with chrome.The M17x will start at  $1,499 and be available as of January 10th.From Dell’s release:Extreme Gaming that Pushes the LimitsAlienware, Dell’s premium high-performance PC gaming brand, is continuing its universal domination with sizzling new additions that take extreme gaming to new heights and ratchet up the hottest gaming system lineup in the industry.“Serious PC gamers and enthusiasts who want an immersive, 3D and high-definition sound experience have found their universe,” said Sam Burd, Vice President of Dell’s Consumer, Small, and Medium Business group.The new M17x is Alienware’s first 3D-capable gaming laptop, offering a realistic, lifelike, mobile gaming experience in a 17-inch display (3D capability requires optional 120Hz w/3D Bundle WideFHD WLED LCD display and NVIDIA graphics card). With its available full HD 120Hz 3D display, the new M17x offers eye-popping stereoscopic viewing for today’s most realistic gaming and mind-blowing 3D Blu-ray movie experiences.Alienware also introduced new models of its Aurora system, Alienware’s first MicroATX desktop with full 3D HD capability and liquid-cooled CPUs (3D-capability requires an optional 120Hz 3D capable LCD display, NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit and a NVIDIA graphics card. For a list of compatible displays visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-requirements.html). Both 3D-capable, designed-for-gaming systems feature new, second-generation Intel quad-core processors with Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 and hyper-threading technology that deliver Intel’s top-of-the-line performance that is faster than the previous generation CPUs. Powerful graphics options, scalable memory and storage options and Alienware’s striking, out-of-this-world design features will leave sweaty-palmed gamers thirsting for more action. via Laptop Maglast_img read more


No Image

Hackers breach cancer hospital servers to play CoD Black Ops

first_imgWhen hackers make the news these days, it’s because they’ve stolen Pentagon secrets, credit card numbers, iTunes accounts, et cetera.Not all hackers infiltrate other people’s computer systems for nefarious reasons, though: sometimes, hackers just want to get their deathmatch on, as evidenced by this story in which hackers breached a server back in November so they could use it as a host for the popular Activision title Call of Duty: Black Ops.Sounds minor, right? The problem is that the server they hacked into was that of the New Hampshire based Seacoast Radiology, which stores the patient information of more than 230,000 cancer survivors. Woops!There’s no signs of identity theft or that the hackers made off with any information. They just wanted to play a few rounds of CoDBLOPS, after all. Seacoast Radiology thinks the hackers-slash-gamers were located in Scandinavia, but otherwise, there’s not a lot of information to go on.Reading between the lines, it really does look like these kids just piggybacked their deathmatch game off of a random server, which was unfortunately one set-up to help cancer survivors. If they really meant to make a point, they would have hosted their Black Ops game off of the servers of a VA hospital.Read more at The Registerlast_img read more


No Image

Flamethrower Gloves Look Awesome Torch Everything

first_img[via Gadjitz] If you think this is some kind of secret military project going on behind the scenes at DARPA, you’d be wrong: these how-to flamethrower gloves are actually the product of the special effects and design team at J&M Special Effects, who were interested in coming up with a system that could shoot real flame from a stage or movie set performer’s hands with very real effect. The guys at J&M note that the system is a prototype, and they’re not finished working on it: future iterations will be more compact and the hoses for the propellant will be streamlined and closer to the performer’s body so they can be hidden under clothing or a costume. The end result looks amazing, with the flame literally erupting from the palms of the wearer’s hands. Hit the jump to see the full video. last_img read more


No Image

Mark Zuckerberg has a stalker ready to die for him

first_imgDoes having a stalker mean you’ve reached the ranks of celebrity status? After appearing on Saturday Night Live, and now getting his first stalker, we believe Mark Zuckerberg may have entered those ranks.However, Zuckerberg isn’t too happy about his 31-year-old stalker named Pradeep Manukonda. So much so, he has taken out a restraining order against him. And we can’t blame him after reading the letter Manukonda sent to Mark which you can see below.The help being asked for is of course money, and in return Manukonda is “ready to die for” Mark. Worrying? Most definitely.AdChoices广告As well as that letter, Manukonda has approached Zuckerberg’s home, tried to gain entrance to Facebook offices, and sent Mark flowers along with a handwritten version of that same letter above.A hearing is scheduled before the end of February after Zuckerberg lodged a complaint against the man. Until that time Manukonda cannot come within 300 yards of Mark, his sister or his girlfriend.If I was in that position I’d also hire someone to keep an eye on the stalker until such time as the courts decide what to do with him. I think there would also be a Taser in my pocket for self defense.Read more at TMZlast_img read more


No Image

Android Market expands to offer ebooks

first_imgGoogle is certainly trying to make the Android Marketplace a tempting place to frequent for its many followers, as they have already added cosmetic changes (incorporating a rating system) and earlier this month introduced a web friendly store. But recent discoveries have seen URLs appearing that point to several new features, one of which is the new e-book store Google Books.Yep you can now buy e-books from the Android Marketplace, however, this does not appear to be the case for all areas or countries just yet. For example, typing in the official e-books URL into your browser https://market.android.com/books/ may work or may see you get returned to the main home page meaning the feature is not yet available.Whatever the outcome, this is certainly a step in the right direction for Google as they try and compete with Apple’s iTunes store. Currently the number of e-books at the last count was around 500 titles, but once this takes off the number of available books should increase significantly.Read more at TechCrunchlast_img read more


No Image

A Kickstarter project aims to solve the frayed iPod cable issue

first_imgDo you have an iPod cable that’s at the point where its innards are showing? Me too. It’s one of the few areas where Apple hasn’t really improved. Those cables fray and die much too quickly. Fortunately, there’s currently a Kickstarter project with a solution for this perennial issue.The frayed cable issue has been around for several years. About four or five months into using a new iDevice, the cable can start to wear away. It is as perplexing as it is annoying. A decent iPod cable isn’t the cheapest thing to purchase after all.A disgruntled Redditor posted an image of two iPod cables, one from 2007 and the other from 2009. The 2009 one was frayed. The 2007 one was not. Several hundred comments in, another Redditor gave a reasonable explanation as to why this is an issue.Most power cords have what’s called a strain relief which is a series of rings where the cable meets the plug. This protects the cable and keeps it at a curve when bent so that it won’t break. All current iPod cables don’t have this strain relief.At Apple, the Industrial Design department, according to the Redditor, has the final say on everything with regards to its products. Apparently, the ID department doesn’t like the way the strain relief looks, so it’s been left out of the design. It’s nothing more complicated than that.What the Kickstarter project offers is what’s called the MySaver. It comes in both a pro and DIY kit that essentially attaches to both the USB and dock ends of the cable. Aluminum encases both plugs, and there’s a silicone piece for where the cable meets the plug. The project is still accepting donations, and it’s about $5,000 shy of its $15,000 goal that will make the project happen, so every little helps.See more at Kickstarter via TechCrunchlast_img read more


No Image

Romo turns your smartphone into a spy robot

first_imgWhether we’re aware of it or not, most of us are carrying around a computer that can act as the brain of a robot. That’s right, we’re talking about your smartphone. Engineers Peter Seid and Phu Nguyen, the duo behind Romotive, decided to quit their jobs and create Romo, a smartphone-powered robot.Seid and Nguyen, known as Romotive from here on out, are taking their project to Kickstarter for support. According to Kickstarter, Romotive “builds accessible, highly functional, flexible robotics platforms” that are powered by smartphones. Romo basically turns your smartphone into robot brains. The platform adds movement, accessories, and physical capabilities to your smartphone. You simply place your iPhone, iPod Touch, or any other smartphone on top of the robot and plug it into what appears to be your phone’s headphone jack. Romo has a rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery, a USB charging cable, and analog circuitry with two motor outputs.By adding new hardware modules to the platform and by offering additional apps, the Romo is able to “learn, grow, and change.” The nice thing about this little guy is it can continually be updated as the Romotive crew develops more apps. Romo’s software is available to download in the Android Market and in the iTunes App Store. Romo is infinitely programmable, and so far, Romo has three apps: RomoRemote, Romo Kart, and Drag and Drop Programmable Module. “We’re bringing the app store to robots,” Seid said.RomoRemote lets you use your iPhone to direct the little Romo bot as he goes on solo missions. You can see where Romo is going on your smartphone and even send “audio shout-outs.” Mario Kart fans will be happy to use Romo Kart, which lets you race against your friends in a “mixed-reality version” of the classic game. You can send digital attacks, making your opponent’s robot spin out of control. You can also cut the power of your friend’s robot, deflect bombs, and reverse their controls.For another awesome mobile phone-plus-smartphone project, check out Sphero.Read more at KickStarterlast_img read more


No Image

Hasbro sues Asus over Transformer Prime name

first_imgIt looks like the Decepticons aren’t the only foes that Optimus Prime is battling this holiday season. Hasbro, owner of the Transformers brand, is suing Asus for the name of its latest tablet, the Transformer Prime.Hasbro filed the lawsuit last week in Los Angeles federal court, saying that the tablet’s name is too similar to its Transformers brand. It wants damages, as well as a temporary injunction on the device. The toy-maker issued a corporate-speak statement, citing its willingness to aggressively protect its brands and protect it from companies who “misappropriate” its intellectual property.Does Hasbro have a legal leg to stand on here? Considering the Transformers are toys, cartoons, and movie characters, it isn’t likely that anyone will mistakenly think a tablet is one of them. It could be argued that customers will mistakenly think it’s a licensed Transfomers product, or Hasbro could even say that because the tablet connects to a keyboard dock it’s similar to a Transformer toy.We’ll leave the judgment to the courts, but it isn’t exactly surprising that Hasbro would have a bone to pick here. In addition to the Transformer moniker, Prime conjures images of the Autobots’ leader, Optimus Prime. Asus must have consulted with its lawyers before going with the Transformer Prime branding, so it doesn’t appear to have believed that it would be a problem. Perhaps this is why the full name of the tablet is the convoluted Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime.While it won’t outsell the Kindle Fire, the Transformer Prime is the most impressive Android tablet to date. It sports a quad-core Tegra 3 processor, 8MP camera, optional keyboard dock, and will get Ice Cream Sandwich in January. It has started shipping in limited quantities, and will have a more widesperead rollout in January.via paid contentlast_img read more