January 2020

No Image

Canadian Natural Resources reports $1.03B Q3 profit, tops expectations

first_imgThis report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 7, 2019.Companies in this story: (TSX:CNQ) The Canadian Press CALGARY — Canadian Natural Resources Ltd. says it earned $1.03 billion in its latest quarter, down from $1.80 billion in the same quarter last year.The company says the profit amounted to 87 cents per diluted share for the quarter ended Sept. 30 compared with a profit of $1.47 per diluted share a year ago.Revenue totalled $6.16 billion, up from nearly $5.90 billion.- Advertisement -Canadian Natural says its adjusted profit from operations amounted to $1.04 per diluted share, down from $1.11 per diluted share in the same quarter last year.Analysts on average had expected a profit of 77 cents per share, according to financial markets data firm Refinitiv.Daily production in the quarter averaged almost 1.2 million barrels of oil equivalent per day, up from nearly 1.1 million boe per dayin the same quarter last year.Advertisementlast_img read more


No Image

Exclusive – ‘Lukaku wants permanent Everton move’, claims Toffees official

first_imgRomelu Lukaku wants to leave Chelsea and make a permanent switch to Everton this summer, the Toffees’ head of recruitment Ian Atkins has told talkSPORT.Lukaku enjoyed great success on loan at Goodison Park last season, netting 19 goals in 33 appearances to fire the Merseyside outfit to a fifth place finish.But, despite his fine goalscoring form, the 21-year-old Belgian international remains out of favour with Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho, and the starlet’s Chelsea future was cast further into doubt following the summer arrivals of £32million striker Diego Costa and returning Blues hero Didier Drogba.Toffees manager Roberto Martinez has admitted he is looking to re-sign Lukaku during the transfer window, with the striker expected to make his decision soon having returned from the World Cup.And Atkins, who was influential in bringing Lukaku as well as other loan stars Gareth Barry and Barcelona’s Gerard Deulofeu to Everton last season, believes the young striker has set his mind on a full-time spot at Goodison.“Romelu had a terrific season for Everton last year and I know everyone at the football club wants to see him back,” Atkins told Transfer Tavern.“Hopefully things can be sorted out, I think he’s quite settled in his mind that he wants to come to Everton, and hopefully he’ll be pulling on our blue shirt again next term.“Our loan signings all did brilliant for us last season. Gareth Barry has signed permanently now which is fantastic, and hopefully Lukaku will as well.“I know the manager would like back him at Everton and I’m sure if he comes he’ll be a great asset and can help us get to that next level of European football.”last_img read more


No Image

Newcastle v Sunderland line ups: predicted XIs for the derby live on talkSPORT

first_img1 As Newcastle prepare to take on Sunderland at St James’ Park on Sunday, a match you can hear live on talkSPORT, Alan Pardew is looking to get the better of opposite number Gus Poyet for the first time in a Tyne-Wear clash.Last season the Black Cats beat the Magpies twice and were convincing 3-0 winners on Tyneside in February as Fabio Borini, Adam Johnson and Jack Colback got on the scoresheet.This year Colback will be wearing the black and white of Newcastle instead of the red and white of Sunderland having made a controversial free transfer switch in the summer.His ability on the ball has seen him become a key player instantaneously for Pardew, and earned him an England call-up, but Poyet has struggled to replace the ginger midfield maestro.Sunderland will be tough to beat though, they’ve only lost four Premier League games this season, it’s just scoring goals they struggle with as Jozy Altidore continues his 29 game goal drought in the top-flight.But, as Newcastle contend with a goalkeeper crisis, the Black Cats could strike it lucky in what may well be another classic derby encounter.So how will the two sides line-up? talkSPORT takes a look…Newcastle United’s possible line-up: 1 Alan Pardew and Gus Poyet center_img Sunderland’s possible line-up: 1last_img read more



No Image

Wenger set for for Old Trafford farewell

first_img0Shares0000Aresene Wenger’s clashes with former United boss Alex Ferguson are the stuff of legend and his relationship with current Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has been laced with bitternessMANCHESTER, United Kingdom, Apr 28 – Arsene Wenger is unsure of the welcome he will receive on his final visit to Old Trafford as Arsenal boss on Sunday after many “great battles” against Manchester United during his two decades in charge.The 68-year-old Frenchman, leaving the club at the end of the season, will bring a side that is a pale shadow of the team that challenged United’s Premier League dominance during his first decade in charge. Wenger’s clashes with former United boss Alex Ferguson are the stuff of legend and his relationship with current Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has been laced with bitterness.But both men have reached out to him with warm words since he announced he was stepping down.Mourinho said he regrets some of the “little negative episodes” between himself and Wenger over the years, calling on United fans to give him a fitting send-off.When asked whether he could be friends with Mourinho, Wenger spoke instead of “respect” for the current United boss.Arsenal, in sixth spot in the league, look certain to miss out on the top four for the second year in a row.But Wenger will still believe he can leave the club with a trophy and a Champions League spot despite conceding a late goal in a 1-1 home draw with Atletico Madrid in the Europa League on Thursday.The Frenchman is unsure how he will be greeted at Old Trafford, where he is unlikely to play a first-choice side with the second leg of the Europa League tie looming next week.“I don’t know what reaction I will get but look we had some great battles in 22 years and for me what will be at stake is to recover from that result (against Atletico) and before we go to Atletico have a good game,” Wenger said.– Sanchez reunion –The Frenchman, who says he is not ready to retire from football, is likely to face a side including former Gunners star Alexis Sanchez, who left to join United in the January transfer window.The Chilean’s presence in the opposing team will be a painful reminder to Arsenal fans of Wenger’s inability in recent years to convince many of his best players to buy into his project and stay.Wenger said he was so committed to Arsenal that he even declined an approach by then United chairman Martin Edwards when Ferguson was mulling retiring in 2001.“Arsenal is the love of my life. I turned many, many, many clubs down to face the challenge when we built the stadium,” said Wenger, referring to the Emirates.“I speak to everybody, yes I met Martin Edwards, many people came to see me but I was always loyal to this club.”“When I look back now I realise what a great team they had,” Wenger said of United. “(Ryan) Giggs, (Paul) Scholes, as young players they had (Cristiano) Ronaldo and (Wayne) Rooney and you see what Ronaldo and Rooney went on to do in the rest of their career.“(Ruud) van Nistelrooy, all these players together — it was an unbelievable team and I think I realise more with a bit of distance what a challenge it was.”United are hoping to consolidate their hold on second place in the Premier League, which would mark a significant improvement over last year’s sixth-placed finish for the club, who have also qualified for the FA Cup final, where they will face Chelsea.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more


No Image

Hart set to miss out on youthful England World Cup squad

first_imgHart, who has been England’s first choice goalkeeper for the last three major tournaments, was backed by Southgate after being deemed surplus to requirements by Pep Guardiola at City as the 31-year-old remained first choice during England’s unbeaten qualifying campaign.However, Hart started only half of West Ham’s Premier League games this season and conceded 39 goals in his 19 league appearances.Hart’s omission means the experienced trio of Jordan Pickford, Jack Butland and the uncapped Nick Pope will be Southgate’s options between the sticks.Pickford has also yet to feature in a competitive international, whilst Butland’s only two competitive starts came in qualifying dead rubbers against Lithuania in 2015 and 2017.Jack Wilshere is also set to miss out despite an impressive end to the season with Arsenal.Wilshere was initially included in Southgate’s squad for March’s friendlies against the Netherlands and Italy, but was forced to pull out with a knee injury that cost him the opportunity to make his case.Liverpool’s Adam Lallana is in contention despite an injury-ravaged season. Lallana made his latest comeback in Sunday’s 4-0 win over Brighton, but made just one Premier League start all season.In defence, Phil Jones’s return to form and fitness for Manchester United could see him see off club team-mate Chris Smalling and Chelsea captain Gary Cahill for a place alongside Southgate’s preferred centre-back duo of John Stone and Harry Maguire.– Global stage awaits Kane –Harry Kane and Jamie Vardy head into the World Cup in fine form © AFP / PAUL ELLISHowever, at the other end of the field, Southgate is more spoiled for options with Harry Kane and Jamie Vardy both in fine form.Kane and Vardy both scored twice as Tottenham edged out Leicester 5-4 in a final day thriller at Wembley to take their tallies for the season to 41 and 23 respectively.Both failed to carry their club form onto the international stage at Euro 2016, and former England captain Alan Shearer has encouraged Kane to bolster his reputation around the globe by performing on the biggest stage.“It’s a huge tournament for Harry because of what happened two years ago,” said Shearer on Tuesday.“To put himself on the global stage, he is known all around Europe obviously, but to put himself on a world stage he has to go out and perform and score goals in this tournament.”Another former England great Gary Lineker, who won the World Cup Golden Boot in 1986, believes Kane will relish the responsibility of spearheading England’s campaign in Russia.“There are certain individuals that embrace that pressure and embrace that opportunity to show you can do it on the biggest stage and Harry is that sort of guy,” said Lineker.Southgate has two more warm-up friendlies, against Nigeria on June 2 at Wembley and Costa Rica in Leeds five days later, to fine tune his preparations before England’s World Cup begins against Tunisia on June 18.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Hart-less: England veteran Joe Hart is expected to miss out on Gareth Southgate’s World Cup squad © AFP / Paul ELLISLONDON, United Kingdom, May 16 – England manager Gareth Southgate will name his 23-man World Cup squad on Wednesday with some experienced figures such as goalkeeper Joe Hart expected to miss out.The BBC and Sky Sports reported on Tuesday that 75-times capped Hart won’t be included among Southgate’s three goalkeepers after a poor season on loan at West Ham from Manchester City.last_img read more


No Image

Portugal ‘stronger than Morocco’, says Andre Silva

first_img“We cannot underestimate them and must have respect for any opponent. Any game at the World Cup is difficult.”Silva came on as a late substitute in Portugal’s 3-3 draw against Spain in their opening game in Group B, while a late own goal condemned Morocco to a heartbreaking 1-0 defeat by Iran.“They lost their first game but it happens and now they will focus on winning and will try their best,” the AC Milan forward said.“They’re used to playing against European teams and will do their all to get this victory.”He added: “There are no favourites. Morocco have excellent players and the result of their game against Iran could have been different.”Cristiano Ronaldo has tipped the 22-year-old Silva, who moved to Milan from Porto last year, as his long-term successor in the Portugal team.“As I’ve said it’s a big honour to play with him, he’s the best footballer in the world,” said Silva, who has scored an impressive 12 goals in 24 international appearances.“I’m very happy to be on the same team with him.“When he needs me to do something I’m always where he needs me to be. And when I need him he’s always by my side. We always try to work together and in combination.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Andre Silva has been tipped as Portugal’s long-term replacement for Cristiano Ronaldo © AFP/File / Francisco LEONGKRATOVO, Russian Federation, Jun 18 – Portugal striker Andre Silva believes the European champions are well equipped to beat Morocco ahead of their upcoming World Cup group stage clash in Moscow.“I think we are stronger than Morocco if we compare the two teams, but I’m not saying the game will be easy for us,” Silva told reporters at Portugal’s team base on Monday.last_img read more


No Image

Kenya maul Djibouti in AFCON qualifier

first_imgKenya got off to the mark early after dominating the match =, Keith Imbali breaking the deadlock with a delightful shot from range.Saidi Musa should have doubled Kenya’s tally in the 14th minute but he could not get a better finish after Tony Odhiambo’s cross from the left found him unmarked at the edge of the six yard box.A period of dominance, Kenya showing their passing prowess culminated in two goals within two minutes which saw the Junior Stars take a 3-0 lead to the break.Musa slotted in a simple finish from inside the box after some quick interchange of passes which ended in a cutback for Musa to tap home. Richdonald then scored the first of his three two minutes later with a tap in unmarked on the right after a deflected shot.Action between Kenya and Djibouti in the CECAFA Under-17 Championship in Tanzania. PHOTO/TFFKenya continued with the dominance in the second half and just seven minutes in, they were 4-0 up, Richdonald hitting his second with a sweet finish on the volley after controlling the ball, juggling away from his markers before sending in a bullet.Eight minutes later, it was 5-0, a sweeping team move from Mike Amenga’s charges and Nicholas Omondi came to the end of it with a shot from distance which was spilled inside the net by the Djibouti keeper.Richdonald then set up a quick brace by Mathew Mwendwa in the 62nd and 71st minutes, as Kenya continued its dominance.The red-hot winger then completed his hattrick late on with Imbali also adding his second with a ninth late on, another red hot shot from distance greasing between the keeper’s palms.0Shares0000(Visited 8 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Harambee Stars Under-17 players celebrate one of their nine goals against Djibouti in a CECAFA Championship match at the Azam Complex on August 17, 2018. PHOTO/TFFNAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 17 – Kenya’s hope of qualifying to next year’s CAF Under-17 Africa Cup of Nations continued to gather momentum as they won their second straight game of the CECAFA region qualifiers, hitting nine past a hapless Djibouti at the Azam Complex in Chamazi on Friday evening.Richdonald Bolo put up a man-of-the-match performance, hitting a hattrick and providing two assists as the Kenyan side picked a successive victory following their opening day 4-0 win over South Sudan.last_img read more


No Image

Unbeaten Harambee Stars juniors sail into CECAFA semis

first_imgThe team is now set for the semifinals set to be played on August 28, while the final has been scheduled for August 30.Starting XIAlvin Odari (GK), James Gachago, Isaac Mugweru, Robby Mangi, Brian Kamau, Rajab Umar, Kevin Wangaya, Andrew Odhiambo, Gil Harel, Teddy Sirma, Khamis Nyale.SubstitutesKennedy Okumu, Ibrahim Mone, Joseph Munala, Andrew Waliaula, Zein Mwakitawa, Mike Churchill, Alvin Kasavuli, Karl Murugu, Brian Osoro0Shares0000(Visited 73 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Unbeaten Harambee Stars juniors sail  into CECAFA semis. Photo/FKFNAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 22 – Harambee Stars juniors sailed through to the semifinals of the CECAFA Under-15 Championship unbeaten after edging out hosts Eritrea 2-1 in their last Pool A match played in Asmara.Kevin Wangaya and Ibrahim Mone scored a goal apiece as the national Under-15 team recorded three wins out of four matches that saw them beat Somalia, Sudan and hosts Eritrea, only dropping points to Burundi.last_img read more


No Image

Ex-star Kanu tells Nigeria to get over Abraham England call-up

first_imgFormer Arsenal favourite Kanu insisted Nigeria should “move on” and still had enough top players to cope with missing out on the two Premier League stars.“That’s football and I think we have enough quality and we can win matches without them,” he said.“We can’t continue to beg one player to play for us. Nigeria cannot beg, players have to beg Nigeria.”Abraham, 22, who has won two caps for the Three Lions in friendlies against Brazil and Germany in 2017, had flirted with switching his international allegiance to the country who he qualifies for through his father.Centre-back Tomori, 21, is also eligible to represent Nigeria and Canada at international level.Nigeria Football Federation officials had repeatedly tried to convince Abraham to change his international allegiance but he looks set to slip through their grasp by playing a competitive match for England.In the past the Super Eagles have convinced players like Victor Moses and Sone Aluko, who played for England at youth level, to represent the West African nation.0Shares0000(Visited 29 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Tammy Abraham has been called up to the England squad after scoring eight goals in 10 games so far this season for Chelsea © AFP/File / Ian KINGTONABUJA, Nigeria, Oct 4 – Former Nigeria captain Nwankwo Kanu has told the Super Eagles to shrug off the disappointment of seeing Chelsea stars Tammy Abraham and Fikayo Tomori called up by England.Gareth Southgate rewarded the pair for their fine start to the season by naming them in his squad for Euro 2020 qualifiers against the Czech Republic and Bulgaria later this month.last_img read more