A 61-year-old former prison warden appeared before the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts on Friday, slapped with a simple larceny charge.Christopher Lyte of Lot 1608 Providence, East Bank Demerara (EBD) appeared before Magistrate Leron Daly to answer a charge which stated that on September 18, 2018, at Cummings Street and Orange Walk, Bourda, Georgetown, he stole a quantity of clothing valued $500,000; property of Kelvin Young.Lyte denied the charge. His attorney in a bail application told the court that his client is a former prison officer, who is now a vendor. According to the lawyer, his client was heading to Bourda Market to sell the clothing when the Virtual Complainant confronted him and accused him of stealing his items, after which he assaulted him.The Police prosecutor made no objections to bail being granted. Magistrate Daly released him on $100,000 bail, with the case continuing on November 7. As a condition for bail, he has to report weekly at the Alberttown Police Station.
“We cannot underestimate them and must have respect for any opponent. Any game at the World Cup is difficult.”Silva came on as a late substitute in Portugal’s 3-3 draw against Spain in their opening game in Group B, while a late own goal condemned Morocco to a heartbreaking 1-0 defeat by Iran.“They lost their first game but it happens and now they will focus on winning and will try their best,” the AC Milan forward said.“They’re used to playing against European teams and will do their all to get this victory.”He added: “There are no favourites. Morocco have excellent players and the result of their game against Iran could have been different.”Cristiano Ronaldo has tipped the 22-year-old Silva, who moved to Milan from Porto last year, as his long-term successor in the Portugal team.“As I’ve said it’s a big honour to play with him, he’s the best footballer in the world,” said Silva, who has scored an impressive 12 goals in 24 international appearances.“I’m very happy to be on the same team with him.“When he needs me to do something I’m always where he needs me to be. And when I need him he’s always by my side. We always try to work together and in combination.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Andre Silva has been tipped as Portugal’s long-term replacement for Cristiano Ronaldo © AFP/File / Francisco LEONGKRATOVO, Russian Federation, Jun 18 – Portugal striker Andre Silva believes the European champions are well equipped to beat Morocco ahead of their upcoming World Cup group stage clash in Moscow.“I think we are stronger than Morocco if we compare the two teams, but I’m not saying the game will be easy for us,” Silva told reporters at Portugal’s team base on Monday.
Kenya got off to the mark early after dominating the match =, Keith Imbali breaking the deadlock with a delightful shot from range.Saidi Musa should have doubled Kenya’s tally in the 14th minute but he could not get a better finish after Tony Odhiambo’s cross from the left found him unmarked at the edge of the six yard box.A period of dominance, Kenya showing their passing prowess culminated in two goals within two minutes which saw the Junior Stars take a 3-0 lead to the break.Musa slotted in a simple finish from inside the box after some quick interchange of passes which ended in a cutback for Musa to tap home. Richdonald then scored the first of his three two minutes later with a tap in unmarked on the right after a deflected shot.Action between Kenya and Djibouti in the CECAFA Under-17 Championship in Tanzania. PHOTO/TFFKenya continued with the dominance in the second half and just seven minutes in, they were 4-0 up, Richdonald hitting his second with a sweet finish on the volley after controlling the ball, juggling away from his markers before sending in a bullet.Eight minutes later, it was 5-0, a sweeping team move from Mike Amenga’s charges and Nicholas Omondi came to the end of it with a shot from distance which was spilled inside the net by the Djibouti keeper.Richdonald then set up a quick brace by Mathew Mwendwa in the 62nd and 71st minutes, as Kenya continued its dominance.The red-hot winger then completed his hattrick late on with Imbali also adding his second with a ninth late on, another red hot shot from distance greasing between the keeper’s palms.0Shares0000(Visited 8 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Harambee Stars Under-17 players celebrate one of their nine goals against Djibouti in a CECAFA Championship match at the Azam Complex on August 17, 2018. PHOTO/TFFNAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 17 – Kenya’s hope of qualifying to next year’s CAF Under-17 Africa Cup of Nations continued to gather momentum as they won their second straight game of the CECAFA region qualifiers, hitting nine past a hapless Djibouti at the Azam Complex in Chamazi on Friday evening.Richdonald Bolo put up a man-of-the-match performance, hitting a hattrick and providing two assists as the Kenyan side picked a successive victory following their opening day 4-0 win over South Sudan.
A woman who stole two pairs of earrings from Dunnes Stores in Letterkenny has been given the Probation Act.Deborah Murphy appeared at Letterkenny District Court today charged with the theft which happened on May 2nd, 2014.The court heard security staff spotted Ms Murphy, 32, stealing the goods worth €9 and tried to stop her but she ran. She ran to her accommodation at 18 Ballymacool, Letterkenny and hid.The court heard Ms Murphy was under a lot of stress at the time.Judge Paul Kelly said he would apply the Probation Act on this occasion.WOMAN STOLE TWO PAIRS OF EARRINGS FROM DUNNES STORES was last modified: November 23rd, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
THE GAA is asking Donegal fans to arrive early for Sunday’s clash with Armagh – because of an Easter Sunday parade.Throw-in for the National League game at MacCumhaill Park is 2.30pm.And the parade is due to pass through Stranorlar and Ballybofey around the same time. Gardai say traffic restrictions will be in place on the Stranorlar side with diversions operating.In a statement the Donegal county board have asked fans to make their way to the game as early as possible to avoid traffic chaos.A big crowd is expected for the final game of the league.Donegal have injury concerns over Colm McFadden and Patrick McBrearty. McFadden suffered a recurrence of a groin strain in training last weekend while McBrearty’s availability is in doubt because of his involvement in Aussie Rules trials.A Donegal win will relegate Armagh although it wouldn’t necessarily guarantee that the Ulster Champions will remain in Division 1.Laois and Donegal go into the final round of games on four points – one below Armagh. GAA: TRAFFIC WARNING AHEAD OF SUNDAY’S ARMAGH CLASH was last modified: April 6th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:GAA: TRAFFIC WARNING AHEAD OF SUNDAY’S ARMAGH CLASH
Letterkenny General Hospital is under staffedTHERE’S more proof today that Letterkenny General Hospital hasn’t got enough doctors and nurses.After a year (so far) of crisis after crisis with under-pressure staff struggling to cope with patient numbers, figures released today show a shocking increase in the number of people on waiting lists.In fact the numbers on those lists has increased by more than TWO HUNDRED PER CENT – with 13,000 people on lists. At the end of July there were over 2,300 people waiting more than a year for an appointment at Letterkenny General – that’s a 209% increase since January.Deputy McConalogue obtained the shocking statistics.He told Donegal Daily: “The figures highlight the Government’s failure in tackling the crisis in our health service. Despite a series of promises and announcements that waiting lists are reducing, the statistics from the NTPF reveal the real story.“Not only is the number of people on the waiting lists increasing, the waiting times themselves are also on the rise. In the first seven months of the year, the number of people waiting more than 6 months for an outpatient appointment at Letterkenny General Hospital hit 13,000 – an increase of almost 2,000. During the same period, the number of patients on a waiting list for over a year soared by over 200% to 2,333. “I am extremely concerned that this situation will deteriorate further as the cuts to the health service begin to filter through. €200m is being slashed from hospital budgets this year, which will force additional service cutbacks in an already pressurised system.“The Taoiseach has consistently claimed that significant progress has been made on the waiting list issue. These figures should act as a wake-up call to the reality of the situation.“Despite the rhetoric of the past 3 and a half years, there’s been a significant upsurge in waiting lists and times. Minister Varadkar needs to stop believing his Government’s spin and wake up to this crisis which is now impacting on every hospital in this city. It is unacceptable that people are left months, and even years to see a doctor in their local hospital. This practice is not only unfair; it is dangerous and must be urgently addressed.“The Minister cannot continue with this Government’s flawed approach to the health service. We need a realistic Budget, instead of the back of the envelope estimates, which have been presented over the past three years. It remains to be seen if the Minister and the Government has the courage or the conviction to fulfil their pre-election promises.” REVEALED: 209 PER CENT INCREASE IN WAITING LISTS AT LETTERKENNY GENERAL HOSPITAL was last modified: September 25th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Charlie McConalogueletterkenny hospitalStaff
Gardai caught a motorist travelling speeding in a 100kpm zone in the Kilmacrennan area this week. The car was clocked by speed detection devices travelling at 122kph near the town centre.Once apprehended, the driver in question then failed a roadside breath test. The driver is set to receive a fine for speeding, drink driving and faces a three-month ban.Officers with the road policing unit have appealed to drivers to slow down.Driver caught speeding at 122kph while over the legal limit in Kilmacrennan was last modified: June 14th, 2019 by Shaun KeenanShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
SANTA CLARA — The 49ers won’t be entertaining another Anthony Davis comeback, officially terminating the right tackle’s contract Tuesday a few weeks after he sought reinstatement from the NFL.Davis previously retired twice from the 49ers, in June 2015 and again three games into the 2016 season. He was a 2010 first-round draft pick and started every game his first four seasons before injuries took their toll, including a concussion.In moves more impacting this season’s roster, the 49ers waived …
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest The U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Department of Health and Human Services last week released the final 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans,Servings of lean meat, poultry, eggs and dairy remain in the newly established 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. The DGA’s are broken into three diet plans: healthy U.S. style eating pattern, healthy Mediterranean style eating pattern and the healthy vegetarian eating pattern.“The Dietary Guidelines provide a clear path for the general public, as well as policy makers and health professionals and others who reach the public, to help Americans make healthy choices, informed by a thoughtful, critical and transparent review of the scientific evidence on nutrition,” said representatives for USDA and HHS.These recommendations will be pivotal in the education components of health professionals, federal food and education programs, along with serving as a manual for registered dieticians. Five overarching guidelines include:follow a healthy eating pattern across the lifespan,focus on a variety, nutrient-dense foods and amount,limit calories from added sugars and saturated fats to no more than 10% of total calories and sodium to no more than 2,300 milligrams per day,choose healthy foods and beverages andsupport healthy eating patterns for all.The National Pork Producers Council voiced support for the guidelines. A review of the guidelines shows they are narrowly focused on nutrition — much more so than previous iterations. The recommendation on consuming protein calls for “a variety of protein foods, including seafood, lean meats and poultry, eggs, legumes (beans and peas), and nuts, seeds, and soy products.”The Recommended Daily Allowances (RDAs) of various food groups are largely unchanged from the 2010 guidelines. The guidelines do recommend that less than 10% of daily calories come from saturated fat and call out meat, processed meat and meat dishes as major sources of saturated fat. But the guidelines indicate that sticking to the RDAs should meet the recommendation on saturated fat. The guidelines also note that people aren’t getting enough potassium, calcium, vitamin D, iron and dietary fiber and single out meat as the best source of iron and pork as a source of vitamin D.The bottom line according to NPPC is that meat remains an important part of the American diet. The 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans do not contain any provisions that should drive federal, institutional or consumer shifts away from meat as the major protein source in diets, and they do not include extraneous matters, such as requiring food producers to meet sustainability standards or taxing certain foods as a way to reduce their consumption.The 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans is available at www.dietaryguidelines.gov.
Panels face south for a reasonIn California, only 9 percent of solar panels face within 10 degrees of due west, the blog says. A western orientation reduces their total output by between 10 percent and 20 percent when compared with south-facing panels, and that means less electricity for homeowners and lower earnings from net-metering.Peak output for west-facing arrays is 2:00 p.m., the blog notes, two hours later than for south-facing panels.And that helps explain why some utilities are offering financial incentives to homeowners to make the switch. The study says some plans pay customers as much as 35 cents per kWh for power produced late in the afternoon vs. 12 cents per kWh for power exported to the grid at noon.“Offering a handsome incentive for well-timed solar power (or well-timed reductions in usage) can be a smart play for any utility seeking to avoid a painful alternative: paying notoriously high marginal costs to source electricity from ‘peaker’ power plants (e.g. 3 to 5x the normal price level),” the report says.“An appropriate time-of-use rate framework could enable west-facing systems to achieve compelling monetary returns despite their reduced annual energy output,” it continues. “Our recent analysis of time-varying rates — specifically those that encourage nighttime electric car charging — suggests they can have a strong effect in shaping consumer behavior.”The California Energy Commission recently decided to award subsidies of up to $500 for the installation of west-facing panels. Most rooftop photovoltaic (PV) panels face south because the owners of the panels want to generate the most electricity possible. But a recent report says that shifting more PV panels to the west would produce electricity at a time when the electricity is much more useful to utilities, reducing the need for utilities to buy costly power to meet peak loads.Writing in an Outlier blog for Opower, a company that analyzes energy data for utilities, Barry Fischer and Ben Harack note that most PV-equipped homes are producing much more power than they consume during the middle part of the day. The grid, however, really needs the power boost in the late afternoon.Fischer and Harack said they looked at Opower data from 25,000 solar homes in the western U.S. along with public data about 110,000 residential projects installed in California since 2007.“Our statistical results reveal a key disconnect between today’s solar panel landscape and the broader power system,” they write.More west-facing panels would generate more power in the late afternoon and give utilities a “compelling alternative” to bringing additional power plants online.That’s the same conclusion reached in a report from the Pecan Street Research Institute at the University of Texas at Austin last December. That report, however, was based on a much smaller sample — just 52 homes. Lots of midday outputDuring the sunniest parts of the day, an average of 93 percent of the solar-equipped homes export electricity to the grid because the panels generate more electricity than the homes use. On one day in particular, a hot day in May of this year, the authors charted power exports in 25,000 western homes from about 8:00 in the morning until just before 4:00 in the afternoon.After that, the solar homes actually used more than non-solar homes (see the graph in Image #2, below). The authors explain the situation this way: “Wondering why solar homes’ use of grid electricity shoots way above average after the sun goes down? It’s likely related to the elevated energy needs of their owners’ lifestyles: the typical solar home in our dataset is 34% larger than the typical non-solar home, 2.6 times as likely to own a pool, and 2.7 times as likely to enroll in an electric vehicle rate plan.”At midday, between 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m., the average solar home produces enough power to run itself and two non-solar homes at the same time.But peak demand on the grid occurs about 5:00 p.m., when the output of south-facing panels has fallen sharply. By 4:00 p.m., only 27 percent of solar homes are exporting power to the grid; by 5:00 p.m., that’s fallen to 6 percent.“Could solar homes be more helpful in satisfying peak electric demand on the grid?” the authors write. “The answer is certainly yes. And a small subset of homes appears to be leading the way.”