Policeman accused of beating vendor transferred to TSU – Top Cop

first_imgAs the Guyana Police Force seeks legal advice for the case where a police officer allegedly assaulted a vendor while arresting him at a city wharf, Police Commissioner Leslie James has indicated that the rank has been transferred.At a recent press conference, he informed that the officer is now stationed at the Tactical Services Unit (TSU) at Eve Leary, Georgetown.Police Commissioner Leslie JamesThis incident, which occurred at the Meadow Bank wharf, was videoed by eyewitnesses. The officer was in the company of a fellow rank as he was seen assaulting the man with handcuffs while arresting him for alleged theft.“That matter has been concluded and we’re now seeking legal advice. That’s a matter that happened a few weeks ago…He has since been removed from Division Four A. He’s currently at the Tactical Services Unit performing duties,” the Top Cop affirmed.Guyana Times had initially reported that the officer was relieved of his duties. Commander of Region Four (Demerara-Mahaica) Sub-division A (Georgetown), Assistant Police Commissioner Edgar Thomas had told this publication that the probe was spearheaded by the Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR).Police ranks are issued various items to execute their duties; for instance, a baton is used to assist in subduing a suspect, the Commander noted, while a pair of handcuffs has another use.The policeman and Quincy Little during the encounterHowever, when a police officer uses one of his tools for a purpose than the one originally intended, this will lead to questions about whether or not the rank had stepped out of line or breached the rights of the suspect.On December 5, the video went viral on social media (Facebook) with the police officer in question attempting to aid his colleague in arresting 32-year-old Quincy Little.Little was accused of stealing a snapper from another vendor and the police visited him two hours after the simple larceny report was made, requesting that he accompany them to the Ruimveldt Police Station. He told the media that he requested that the ranks call his brother before he was arrested, but was denied this.Little was subsequently released on self-bail upon his arrival at the police station after which he was taken to the hospital. He vehemently told reporters that he was innocent and the vendor who made the accusation against him did not want to take the matter further.He further stated that his brother, who also vends on the wharf, volunteered to repay the $6000, which is the value of the fish.last_img

Be the first to comment on "Policeman accused of beating vendor transferred to TSU – Top Cop"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.