Usain Bolt Wanted Jamaican sprint King Usain Bolt may yet make an appearance at the Commonwealth Games despite ruling out competing next year in the Gold Coast of Australia.This time he may appear of some sort in a capacity off the track.“He won’t be competing, you all know that, but we are trying to get him to come in some capacity,” Gold Coast organizing committee chairman Peter Beattie told reporters on Wednesday.“(GOLDOC chief executive) Mark (Peters) has met with the (athlete’s) manager on a couple of occasions and we will continue those discussions. We will do everything we can to get Usain Bolt to the Gold Coast for this event,” he added.The 30-year-old world record holder, who completed a “treble treble” of 100m, 200m and 4x100m Olympic titles at the 2016 Rio Games, said in February he had no plans to extend his career beyond this year’s world championships in London.Bolt last raced in Melbourne last month at the first Nitro Series meeting with a team of international “All-Stars”.
A resident of Miramar in South Florida man has been sentenced to three years in prison in connection with the operation of a Jamaica-based lotto scam, the Department of Justice has announced.Claude Shaw, 49, of Miramar, Florida, was also ordered by US District Court Judge William P Dimitrouleas to pay US$128,440 in restitution, and will have three years supervised release.Shaw pleaded guilty on March 22 to one count of mail fraud in the Southern District of Florida. As part of his guilty plea, Shaw acknowledged that, from or around September 2013, through to or around August 2015, he participated in a scheme to defraud victims in the United States and unlawfully enrich himself.“Today’s sentencing demonstrates the Justice Department’s commitment to combating foreign-based lottery fraud schemes targeting individuals in the United States,” said Acting Assistant Attorney General Chad A Readler of the Justice Department’s Civil Division. “Financial schemes designed to defraud unsuspecting victims will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.”As part of the scheme, victims throughout the United States received telephone calls in which they were falsely informed that they had won more than $1 million in a lottery and needed to pay money in advance to claim their winnings. The victims were instructed on how, and to whom to send their money, including being instructed to send their money to Shaw. Victims sent more than $100,000 to Shaw, who then forwarded a portion of the money to Jamaica. Victims never received any lottery winnings.
US lawmakers are proposing legislation which would require car makers to install sensors that alert drivers if a child is being left in a car.On average 37 children die each year in a hot car. Most of the time they were accidentally forgotten by a parent or a caregiver. Nine have died in this fashion since the year began.If proponents have their way – your car will soon provide one more alert to make sure this can’t happen.In the meantime – never leave a child in a car unattended.Do whatever it takes to remember to check your back seat.Advocates suggest tossing your purse in the back seat – or better yet, toss one of your shoes back there.Most importantly – don’t think a hot car tragedy can’t happen even on a cloudy day.Even if it is 52 degrees outside children can die from heat stroke inside a vehicle. Heat stroke sets in at 104 degrees. Human cells start to shut down at 107 degrees. And a child’s body heats up three to five times faster than an adult’s.General Motors already has some of this technology in its cars.The Hot Cars Act would require it in all vehicles. It will be announced on Capital Hill Wednesday.
Jamaica’s young Sunshine Girls made it three wins from as many games at the Jean Pierre Caribbean Under-16 netball tournament in St Lucia on Tuesday when they hammered Dominica 38-14. Jamaica held quarterly advantages of 8-4; 16-9 and 26-12.Kelsey Jonas led the way for Jamaica with 17 goals from 21 attempts while Tahlice Redwood had 14 from 18 and Tafiya Hunter 7 from 8. The Jamaicans will next play Trinidad and Tobago.
St. Lucia is one of five Caribbean selected for the installation of an oceanographic buoy which is part of a network of Coral Reef Early Warning Systems for the Caribbean.A government statement said the system falls under a project being implemented by the Belize-based Caribbean Community Climate Change Center (CCCCC) that seeks to measure the effects of climate change on coral reefs.Off the coast of Soufriere It said the oceanographic buoy being erected off the coast of Soufriere, is the third of its kind to be established in the waters of the Caribbean with two systems already erected in Antigua and St Kitts-Nevis. Two others will be established in Grenada and St Vincent and the Grenadines.Mitigate negative impact of climate change “Coral reefs in Caribbean waters have, in recent years, endured much bleaching and have been placed under stressors, which in some cases cause death to the reefs. The new system will help monitor these conditions and will help to mitigate the negative impacts of climate change on reef systems,” the statement said.It said that the Coral Reef Early Warning System is part of a United States Agency for International Development (USAID) sponsored project with each system being erected at a cost of US$25,000.
The St. Augustine campus of the University of the West Indies (UWI) in Trinidad and Tobago says initial investigations indicate that there was no evidence of an attempted rape of a female student on Tuesday even as the Students Guild said it was planning a public meeting for later this week.In a statement, the UWI said that a report from Campus Security noted that the student was robbed near the Student Activity Centre (SAC) but denied reports that she was raped.No evidence“The initial investigation with the student reveals no evidence of attempted or alleged sexual assault, contrary to what has been mentioned on some social media sites.”Guild of students seek action But in a separate statement, the UWI Students Guild said “this unfortunate act preceded by at least six reported robberies where students were held at gunpoint at various locations around the campus over the last four years.“Following these incidents, the University’s administration has yet to release at official statement that acknowledges these breaches in campus security as a problem or as a concern for student safety,” the Guild said, calling on the authorities to act quickly.But the University disagreed with the statement by the Guild, noting “we have spared no effort in creating a safe environment for all students that attend our campus.The University said it was urging all students to take precautions which have continually been promoted in order to assist with ensuring their personal safety at campus. It said this includes visibly displaying their Student Identification Card upon entry to the campus.
GEORGETOWN, Guyana, CMC – Chairman of the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM), retired Justice James Patterson, Tuesday said that fresh regional and general elections could only be held in Guyana in November.In a letter to President David Granger, the GECOM chairman wrote that “I would proffer that the Commission would be in a position to conduct General and Regional Elections no earlier than late November with an Official List of Electors having a qualifying date of 31stOctober 2019”.President Granger has said in the past that he could not announce a date for the credible elections until he receives the assurances from GECOM, even though the main opposition People’s Progressive Party (PPP) has said the polls must be held no later than March 19 in keeping with the Guyana Constitution following the successful motion of no confidence that brought about the downfall of the coalition government on December 21, last year.Under the Guyana Constitution, elections must be held no later than 90 days after a successful motion of no confidence against the government or that the period could be extended by a special majority in the National Assembly.Patterson ApologizedIn his letter, Patterson apologised for his late response to Granger’s earlier letter, stating that consultations with his chief elections officer and senior staff “were a necessary prerequisite” to the contents of the letter.He wrote that as of February 5, this year “the Commission was intimately aware that it was impossible to conduct elections ‘within the three months” timeframe commencing 21 st December 2018” and that it is also impossible to do so on any date prior to and including 30th April 2019”.Patterson said that this position had been communicated to Granger in a letter dated February 21 and since then the process has “been continuously frustrated by the withdrawal of some Commissioners from our official meetings.“This has occurred at every session convened since 28th February 2019, including the Commission’s last meeting on 14 March 2019”.Additional funds required Patterson also indicated that funds were needed for GECOM to hold credible elections, saying that he has been advised by the “Chief Elections Officer, that given all our current considerations, an amount of three and a half billion Guyana dollars (One Guyana dollar=US$0.004 cents) is required.“Kindly note that significant critical path activities associated with elections cannot commence prior to the availability of these funds to the Commission. In the circumstances no election date should be contemplated less than five months after these funds are placed at the disposal of and the control of GECOM”.Patterson also made reference to the electoral list noting that he has been informed by the Chief Elections Officer and the Commissioner of Registration that “given the current time and operational status, it would be a logistical impossibility for the Commission’s Secretariat to produce a list with a qualifying date of 30th April 2019, which could be available for 1st May, 2019”.“Accordingly, the Secretariat’s submission to the Commission all viable options for the availability of an electoral list are anchored in a qualifying date of 31st October 2019 which lists cannot be used before 1stNovember 2019”.He said that among the Secretariat’s submission “was the proposal to have elections after the completion of a New National Register of Registrants (NRR) based on the conduct of a House to House registration exercise”.Patterson wrote in that proposal, the contemplated finish date was February 2020. But he said that “with a significant increase in the allocated resources for that exercise and an adjustment in the management arrangements for some procurement activities, the execution of the programme could be restructured to be completed at least two months earlier, in 2019”.“Should this be achieved most of the Commission’s concern for credibility and timeliness would be addressed. I would therefore urge you to support this by providing the required additional resources and appropriate guidance to those agencies and authorities whose co-operation is required if our objectives are to be achieved,” Patterson wrote.
Nigeria’s Blessing Ighoteguonor-Okagbare ran a time of 11.03 seconds to finish fourth in the Women’s 100 meters event at the IAAF Diamond League meeting in Rabat, Morocco on Sunday.Okagbare, who ran 10.99 seconds at last week’s London IAAF meeting, failed to run her second sub-11 seconds time this year after she finished behind Jamaica’s Elaine Thompson(10.87), Ivorian Marie-Josée Ta Lou(10.90) and Michelle-Lee Ahye of Trinidad and Tobago. Next up for the 28-year-old Nigerian is the Monaco IAAF Diamond League Meeting, as preparations for next month’s 16th IAAF, World Championship in London hit top gear.She first broke 11 seconds in 2012, at the IAAF Diamond League meeting in London, then ran three more sub-11 seconds that season with a personal best of 10.92 seconds at the 2012 Olympic games.Related
EFL announces that all non-Sky Sports fixtures will be available to stream August 27, 2020 Share Submit Related Articles StumbleUpon Share Premier League looks to broadcast every behind-closed-door fixture August 28, 2020 Björn Nilsson: How Triggy is delivering digestible data through pre-set triggers August 28, 2020 Chris Rose, Leicester TigersAs the Six Nations makes its return after a one-week break, we’ve put Rugby sponsorship into the spotlight on SBC News.A month on from Leicester Tigers signing LeoVegas as its ‘Official Betting and Gaming Partner’, we caught up with Chris Rose, Head of Brand for the 10-time English Champions, to discuss the lack of visibility for betting partners in Rugby and how they will assess the effectiveness of a three-year deal with the Swedish operator.SBC: Visible betting partners are still quite uncommon in Rugby; why do you think this is? Is it because Rugby doesn’t have the same connection to betting as Football?CR: I think there are three main reasons. Rugby is not as big or mature a market as football, and until recently, there was not a huge amount of markets to bet on around Rugby. Rugby is not as easy to run markets on, and there were less people to bet on it. But TV coverage of Rugby has just got bigger and bigger; the Broadband battle feeding TV revenues means the likes of BT and Sky need high quality sports content.Over the last few years, the gambling sector has also focused on changing how the industry is perceived, taking on more responsibility to police itself, and transforming a facelift from the traditional old men in a betting shop view to high quality digital businesses which offer another level of interaction to enjoying sport. Second and third screens are a huge part of sports consumption now, and this was an important factor for us to announce a new betting partner.SBC: LeoVegas has a reputation for being an innovative brand within an increasingly consolidated betting market; are there any special LeoVegas promotions planned around upcoming matches?CR: With the help of LeoVegas, we are developing a new Leicester Tigers app so that we’re able to offer the same quality in our digital delivery as LeoVegas already do. Alongside the app, we will be offering in-play odds around our new match day live functions, and on the stadium big screens. We’re looking for a long-term partnership with LeoVegas, and we’re sure that this will lead to even more innovative solutions over the seasons and years to come.SBC: With the recent confirmation of ‘sleeve sponsors’ in the Premier League, we looked at the cost effectiveness for sponsors, with visibility on the kit supplemented by follow through marketing rights, LED and Interview Backdrop branding and player access. Is this the same for LeoVegas at Leicester Tigers?CR: In November 2015, our main partner of eight years had to pull back on their sponsorship due to global conditions, and it gave us a great opportunity to bring in more partners looking for that headline association on the kit or around the stadium. We have upgraded five partners, brought in nine new partners, and the common denominator is that these businesses need to show a return on investment.Whether that be through media values from branding and advertising, or innovative activations that will drive users to our partners’ products, we show that we’re the best club for brands to partner with to achieve their goals. LeoVegas could have chosen any Rugby club to work with, but they had real distinct goals that they needed from the partnership, and we’re looking forward to delivering those for them.Ultimately, if partnerships aren’t a cost-effective way of promoting, then we wouldn’t be able to boast such a wide range of top business from many diverse sectors as part of the Tigers’ Family… all with different ROI’s.SBC: LeoVegas will be measuring the effectiveness of the partnership on the engagement and uptake from all activities. As a club, what are you hoping to get out of the partnership?CR: The simple answer is that sponsorship revenues allow Tigers to function; we need the revenue that partnerships bring to make sure that we remain the biggest club in the land, but we could have partnered with any betting partner. We wanted to work with the best and most forward thinking, and so we are looking to build our relationship with LeoVegas.We think we can learn a lot from their delivery on digital and apps where they are clearly a market leader, and the Tigers team did a lot of due diligence. We were massively impressed with the people, processes and solutions at LeoVegas, and for us it has always been about people. We know that this partnership with the UK team and the wider LeoVegas company will be a fantastic opportunity for many years to come.
StumbleUpon Share Jason Ader – No Boogeyman… Activism will play a vital part in reshaping gambling August 20, 2020 Share Shimon AkadFTSE-listed Playtech Plc has confirmed that it will be the first industry platform provider to launch a licensed online casino property for the Czech Republic in partnership with Eastern European operator Fortuna Entertainment.Updating investors, Playtech governance revealed that on 24 February the Czech Republic Ministry of Finance granted Fortuna the country’s first ever licence to operate ‘online technical games’.Fortuna and Playtech, had reached a wholesale omni-channel platform agreement in August 2016 which sees the supplier provide lead provisions for Fortuna online casino, CRM and sports betting services.Playtech Plc now services Fortuna platforms for the Eastern European markets of Romania, Poland, Slovakia and the Czech Republic.Shimon Akad, COO, Playtech, said: “We are delighted to be the first supplier to go live in the Czech Republic with our pioneering omni-channel platform technology and best-performing casino content and to further expand Fortuna’s offering in this newly regulated market. “We pride ourselves on being leaders in regulated markets and today’s announcement highlights just how we always aim to lead the way,”David Vanek, General Manager, Fortuna CZ, said: “We are proud to be the first company in the Czech Republic to have met the demanding conditions defined by the new legislation and to be granted a licence as a result. Broadening our product range to complement our sports betting offering is a major priority. We are therefore very pleased that our customers will be the first to play online roulette and casino games in full compliance with Czech legislation. Submit Polish wagering report highlights STS market dominance August 17, 2020 Playtech goes live in the US with bet365 August 7, 2020 Related Articles