iStock(WATERBURY, Conn.) — A manhunt is underway for the boyfriend of a beloved Waterbury, Connecticut, nightclub owner whose body was discovered in a wooded area almost 10 miles away from her business and home, police said.Eight days after Janet Avalo-Alvarez was last seen by her friends, family and co-workers on Nov. 12, investigators from the Waterbury Police Department confirmed the “worst nightmare, fears of the family, friends,” Lt. David Silverio said at a press conference on Wednesday.Authorities were lead to an area near Wolcott Road and Route 69 in Wolcott, Connecticut, on Tuesday. They found a body and turned it over to the city’s medical examiner.An autopsy revealed the body was Avalo-Alvarez’s and that she had been killed by “neck compression,” Silverio said.“We are going through a lot of pain,” Grisela Guirreio, a family friend, said to ABC Hartford, Connecticut, affiliate WTNH-TV at a candlelight vigil Wednesday evening.Police said Avalo-Alvarez, 26, owner of the La Guakara Taina Bar on East Main Street, worried her family with “unusual” behavior on Nov. 13 when she left her car parked behind the club, abruptly stopped communicating with her loved ones and wasn’t posting on social media.During the search for Avalo-Alvarez, her live-in boyfriend and business partner Alfredo Esmerli Peguero-Gomez fled the state, police said. His car was found Nov. 15 in a parking lot at Newark International Airport in New Jersey, police said in a Nov. 18 statement.Peguero-Gomez is a dual citizen of the United States and Dominican Republic.“Mr. Alfredo Peguero-Gomez is a suspect in the homicide of Ms. Janet Avalo-Alvarez. It is an open an active investigation,” Silverio said in an email to ABC News on Thursday.Phone calls made by ABC News to Peguero-Gomez were not successful.The couple had no history of domestic incidents, but their relationship was described by friends and co-workers as “being up and down, and they argued frequently about personal matters and business issues,” Silverio said.“The detectives are working with U.S. Marshals Service to locate Mr. Peguero-Gomez,” Silverio said.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
As Ulster dictated early on, Pienaar put Tommy Bowe through a gap and Iain Henderson had to be hauled down five metres short before Jackson gave the visitors a deserved advantage. Leinster got a psychological edge from a scrum penalty, but they were left to rue two crooked lineouts and a kick out on the full from their latest centurion Eoin Reddan. The Kearney brothers combined to offer the first glimpse of Leinster’s attacking class, Dave weaving his way over halfway and fellow winger McFadden added further momentum to the eye-catching counter. Again, though, errors stopped Leinster in their tracks and a slashing midfield break from Gopperth also came to nothing as Ulster forced a turnover. Leinster then coughed up possession for a third time in the visitors’ 22, Cian Healy knocking on after a decent lineout maul. D’Arcy saw yellow for a late tackle on his Ireland colleague Bowe six minutes before the break, allowing Ulster to dominate up to the half-time whistle. Snappy passing released Jared Payne and Craig Gilroy to take Ulster back into the Leinster 22 and Jackson punished a Reddan offside with the last kick of the half. The second period burst into life with strong carries from Trimble and Healy, D’Arcy’s return briefly steadying the Leinster ship as the jinking Gilroy grew in influence. There was concern for O’Driscoll who was left prone after an awkward tackle on Henderson. The record Irish caps holder received a rapturous reception as he was replaced by Madigan. A frustrating night for Leinster’s centre duo continued as D’Arcy came in from an offside position and Jackson mopped up with the three points. However, the Ulster out-half had to hobble off soon after with James McKinney – the match winner against Munster – coming on. The complexion of the game seemed to change as man of the match Madigan broke the line and Leinster drew a 58th-minute penalty which Gopperth drove through the uprights. Back came Ulster, McFadden having to scramble back to rescue the situation after Gopperth was charged down by Pienaar. But Leinster’s strong bench, which included the fit-again Sean O’Brien, swung the momentum back in their favour as Gopperth’s second penalty made it a three-point game. The excellent Gilroy almost put Roger Wilson over in the left corner and Pienaar was chopped down in sight of the try-line as Ulster responded in determined fashion. The knocks kept coming as a knee injury sidelined Dave Kearney, forcing Leinster to bring reserve scrum-half Luke McGrath onto the wing. Despite the disruption, Matt O’Connor’s men managed to turn the screw as Madigan was fed to burst in between McKinney and Payne and score the only try of the night. Gopperth nailed the important conversion from the left, leaving Ulster four points adrift. Best and company threw the kitchen sink at the home side in the dying minutes, Payne being held up just short and two lineout mauls were also thwarted as Leinster’s superior defence just about won out in the end. Madigan, who replaced a groggy Brian O’Driscoll for the closing half-hour, unlocked the visitors’ defence with an O’Driscoll-esque break to put Leinster in front for the first time. Jimmy Gopperth converted and Leinster’s defiant defence held the Ulstermen at bay in a frantic finish, with the 13-9 result keeping alive O’Driscoll’s dreams of a fourth PRO12 title. The comeback win ensured that the retiring O’Driscoll – a league winner in 2001, 2008 and 2013 – will have his career swansong when Leinster host Glasgow Warriors in the May 31 final. His long-time centre partner Gordon D’Arcy ended the first half in the sin-bin, with Ulster full value for their 6-0 interval lead thanks to two Paddy Jackson penalties. Out-of-sorts Leinster fell further behind following a third Jackson kick, but they came to the fore in the closing stages despite losing backs O’Driscoll, Fergus McFadden and Dave Kearney in an attritional derby clash. Ulster played the better rugby for the first hour, however they did not have the points to show for it and their attempts to win silverware for retiring captain Johann Muller fell short. Leinster have been Ulster’s knockout nemeses in recent seasons, defeating their provincial rivals in league and Heineken Cup finals and now two league semi-finals (2011 and 2014). Incredibly, it will be Leinster’s fifth straight league final appearance as they bid to become the first team to successfully retain the trophy. The RDS will host the decider for the fourth time in five seasons. Ulster were the last team to beat Leinster in league fare at the RDS in March 2013, and they made the return trip in buoyant mood after their second-string team claimed Munster’s scalp last weekend. Mark Anscombe welcomed back key men Rory Best and Ruan Pienaar into a much-changed side, the latter pulling a long-range penalty wide in the fourth minute. Ian Madigan emerged as the match-winner for Leinster as his 72nd-minute try decided Saturday evening’s attritional RaboDirect PRO12 semi-final against Ulster at the RDS. Press Association
SAN JOSE, Calif. — The story, as Jim Boeheim told it, is one of masculinity and defensive preference. Those who play man-to-man defense are, funnily enough, men. But those who play zone, a system rooted less in mano-a-mano masculinity and more on schematic principles are, well, not.At least in Mike Montgomery’s eyes.“He once asked my wife if I was wearing a skirt,” Boeheim said with a chuckle during his press conference Friday inside HP Pavilion. “So when we were watching last year I think it was, we texted immediately when he was playing zone to see if he was wearing a skirt as well.”It was a bit of humor exchanged between two coaches who have been friends for decades, two coaches who will face each other Saturday night with a berth in the Sweet 16 hanging in the balance. Syracuse and California tip at 9:40 p.m. EST.Boeheim’s Syracuse team, the fourth seed in the East Region, will certainly play zone against the Golden Bears, as it’s become his trademark over the years. But there’s a good chance Montgomery will employ one, too, attempting to challenge the Orange with a style of play that has frustrated Boeheim’s bunch at times this season. California is primarily a man-to-man team, but it mixed in zone effectively on occasion — most recently in Thursday’s win over UNLV — so Montgomery said it will be tested against Syracuse.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“He’s a man-to-man coach, he always has been,” Boeheim said, continuing the anecdote. “But I think you see really almost everybody play some zone now.”Saturday, then, could be a matchup of two teams using zone defenses — wearing skirts, as Montgomery once described it — though they will look markedly different. Boeheim uses a 2-3 zone in which his wings play extremely high, making it more of a 2-2-1 zone by appearance.Montgomery, on the other hand, chose a style that fit his personnel, which is a collection of tall, long-armed guards but not necessarily athletic swingmen. The result was the installation of a 3-2 zone, where the 6-foot-6 Allen Crabbe mans the perimeter as the point man to disrupt the opposing offense.“We didn’t use it a lot (this season),” California guard Justin Cobbs said. “We used it off and on, just matchup issues. And we felt like last night was a great time to use it with UNLV being such an isolation-oriented team that we got another guy in to help and guys to rebound and things like that.“We didn’t use it that much, but at the same time I think we’re great at that zone.”Montgomery noted that Syracuse, like UNLV in certain situations, relies on isolation-based offense for some of its more talented players. C.J. Fair often gets the ball in the low block and simply goes to work on his defender, while guards Brandon Triche and Michael Carter-Williams do the same working in from the perimeter.It creates a scenario on Saturday in which the zone could be effective again.Triche, who said he had not seen film on the Golden Bears this year, watched a few minutes of their game against UNLV on Thursday. He said the 3-2 zone is similar to some of the match-up zones Syracuse faced this year, and the Orange faced plenty of them during a bit of a slide in the month of February.Georgetown, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Seton Hall and Marquette — four teams that beat Syracuse and one that hung tough for most of a game in the Big East tournament — all gave Syracuse a taste of its own medicine.California could be next.“They’re a good defensive team,” Boeheim said. “They play primarily man-to-man, but they do play a 3-2 matchup as well. During the course of the season you play teams that use both defenses, and particularly this year we’ve seen a lot of zone defense, more than usual at this stage of the year.”And when the Golden Bears take the floor against Syracuse, they will see a lot more zone than they have at any other point this season. Both Cobbs and Crabbe spoke at length about the size of the Syracuse defenders, how their long arms and lateral quickness cover nearly every part of the court.The key, they said, will be avoiding a “stagnant” offense. Making the zone move — forward and back, side to side — creates points of entry for open shots.But Montgomery noted that against this zone, the one Boeheim has perfected for more than three decades, breaking it down is easier said than done.“When you do something 35 times a year, 40 minutes a game for 30 years, somebody has got it figured out,” Montgomery said. “And they’ve been successful with it.”Even if it means wearing a figurative skirt. Comments Published on March 22, 2013 at 9:57 pm Contact Michael: [email protected] | @Michael_Cohen13 Related Stories Out of the national spotlight, California guard Crabbe quietly puts together sensational seasonCramming for California: What to know about Syracuse-CalQ&A with Golden Bears beat writer Jonathan Kuperberg of The Daily CalifornianCalifornia guard, Pac-12 Player of the Year Crabbe presents difficult challenge on perimeterSyracuse gives initial reactions to Round of 32 opponent California Facebook Twitter Google+
The Dodgers already have two converted position players in their bullpen, Kenley Jansen and Pedro Baez. Santana, like his predecessors, is in the process of evolving beyond his raw tools to get the most out of his right arm.Related Articles “He’s a big-league pitcher in my mind,” said outfielder D.J. Peters, who played with Santana last year at Class-A Rancho Cucamonga. “Whether it’s this year or next year, for sure he has all the tools, has the arm, the pitches.”The Dodgers’ brass has particularly been impressed by Santana’s sinker, which he throws consistently in the mid-90 mph range. And he still likes to throw the ball hard every time.Last year Santana posted a 3.57 ERA in 17 games (14 starts) in the hitter-friendly California League, striking out 92 batters in 85⅔ innings. He was promoted to Double-A Tulsa and logged numbers (5.51 ERA, 23 walks in 32⅔ innings) that make a repeat logical.Asked what he spent the year working on, Santana said “breathing.”“If I don’t breathe right, then the ball starts going everywhere,” he explained through an interpreter. “There’s a difference between a pitcher and a thrower. A thrower can just throw anywhere. The pitcher is the one who can find his location, hit his spots. That’s the biggest difference. That’s where I try to focus.” Behind the scenes, MLB’s youth movement has broad consequences Previous SoundThe gallery will resume insecondsDodgers relief pitcher Dennis Santana throws during the sixth inning of a spring training baseball game against the Cleveland Indians, Thursday, March 1, 2018, in Glendale, Ariz. (AP Photo/Carlos Osorio)Dodgers pitcher Dennis Santana works on a drill a few weeks ago at the team’s spring training facility in Glendale, Ariz. The 21-year-old Dominican is a former shortstop who has been turned into a pitcher. (AP Photo/Carlos Osorio) SoundThe gallery will resume insecondsDodgers relief pitcher Dennis Santana throws during the sixth inning of a spring training baseball game against the Cleveland Indians, Thursday, March 1, 2018, in Glendale, Ariz. (AP Photo/Carlos Osorio)NextShow Caption1 of 2Dodgers relief pitcher Dennis Santana throws during the sixth inning of a spring training baseball game against the Cleveland Indians, Thursday, March 1, 2018, in Glendale, Ariz. (AP Photo/Carlos Osorio)ExpandGLENDALE, Ariz. — When the Dodgers approached Dennis Santana about the idea of turning him into a pitcher, the lanky shortstop from the Dominican Republic had two very good reasons to buy in. One, he had little chance of making the major leagues as a hitter. Two, he liked throwing baseballs as hard as he could.The Dodgers signed Santana at age 16. Like a lot of teenagers, he didn’t always respond well to failure. If he didn’t hit the ball well, he would sometimes refuse to run it out and pout. To motivate him, a coach threatened to turn him into a pitcher before he was ready.Santana finished his only professional season as a hitter with a .198 batting average in the Dominican Summer League. Ready or not, the mound beckoned.Santana, who turns 22 in April, now has four full seasons of pitching on his resumé. He will probably begin the season in the rotation at Double-A. After being promoted to the Dodgers’ 40-man roster over the winter, Santana might not much more seasoning. Dodgers poised to use their stash of starter/relievers in 2018 Cody Bellinger homers in Dodgers’ loss to Indians “It’s just fine-tuning command, understanding to pound the bottom of the zone, taking a little bit of (velocity) off the changeup and how to get big league hitters out; how to game plan,” said Brandon Gomes, the Dodgers’ director of player development. “That’s a lot for a 21-year-old kid, but the stuff is electric.”Santana has already shown a willingness to take on a lot. In December he threw a dinner party for the children of his little league chapter in San Pedro de Macoris. A local association recognized Santana for his generosity, and he was presented with an award by Seattle Mariners second baseman Robinson Cano and his father, Jose. It was a far cry from the kid who was once too frustrated to run out a ground ball.Santana is named after two professional athletes. Interestingly, neither plays baseball. His father, Jose, likes basketball and was a fan of Dennis Rodman and Anfernee Hardaway. That, someday, will make it easier to remember the name Dennis Anfernee Santana.BRING ON THE RELIEVERSKenley Jansen will make his Cactus League debut Friday, when he’s expected to pitch an inning against the Kansas City Royals. Jansen has done most of his mound work so far in non-competitive settings. He did pitch in a “B” game Monday against the Chicago White Sox.Left-hander Tony Cingrani and right-hander Josh Fields appeared in that game as well. They’re the only other members’ of the Dodgers’ projected eight-man bullpen who have yet to appear in a Cactus League game.Roberts said all of these relievers are healthy.“Spring training, to build those guys up doesn’t take a whole lot,” Roberts said. “We just want to make sure they feel good and strong, and make sure they’re built up for that one-(inning)-plus” appearance when the regular season begins.Cingrani is expected to see his first game action before Fields. Fields has not been dealing with an injury, Roberts said, but “we just want to make sure that mechanically, physically he feels fine.”ALSODaytona 500 champion Austin Dillon visited camp and spoke to the players during the team’s daily morning meeting. He also tossed a football around with Jansen. …Longtime Dodgers third baseman Ron Cey is in camp as a special guest instructor. When will Dodgers’ prospect Walker Buehler be ready to blossom? Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error