AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas CityMade at Boeing Co.’s Satellite Development Center in El Segundo, the first Wideband Global SATCOM is scheduled to launch from Cape Canaveral in Florida during a 71-minute launch window starting at 5:22 p.m. PDT. Once in orbit, the so-called WGS will represent the Department of Defense’s highest capacity communications satellite. The first WGS eventually will be joined by others to form a constellation of five Boeing-built satellites. WGS will perform the functions of an existing constellation known as the Defense Satellite Communications System, or DSCS, which supports all three military branches. “This one (WGS) satellite has more capability than the entire DSCS constellation, which has nine satellites,” said Col. Donald Robbins, the Air Force’s commander of the Wideband Satellite Communications Group. “What that does for the warfighter is it allows him to communicate at a level that he cannot communicate today. It’s kind of a quantum leap for them. It’s equivalent to going from dial-up to broadband.” The Space and Missile Systems Center, at the Los Angeles Air Force Base in El Segundo, oversees the WGS program for the military and bought the first satellite from Boeing. WGS will not have global reach until three of the satellites are in orbit. After the third satellite is launched, as early as next year – followed by several months of standard testing – troops on the battlefield, aircraft and ships will be able to quickly send large amounts of information to almost any location on the planet. In addition, WGS will operate in two frequencies, the X-band, used heavily by the Army, and the Ka-band, which carries broadcast signals. The military’s Global Broadcast Service constellation provides one-way Ka-band signals. By contrast, WGS will provide two-way Ka-band signals. The new satellite system will also be able to “cross-band,” which involves communications using both frequencies simultaneously. “It’s huge for the military,” Robbins said. “So someone sitting in Baghdad with an X-band terminal can talk to someone with a Ka-band terminal. It gives the troops in the field more flexibility, capability and connectivity.” Boeing was awarded its first WGS contract in January 2001. The Air Force estimates that each satellite will cost about $350 million. The WGS is based on Boeing’s largest commercial satellite model, the 702. Using a so-called “off-the-shelf” commercial model for a military mission is saving the government time and money, Robbins said. Development of the WGS was a collaboration between the Air Force, Boeing, the Army and El Segundo-based The Aerospace Corp., a federally funded think tank. Mark Spiwak, Boeing’s WGS program director, called the collaboration “very effective and productive.” “There can be no better benefactor for these enhanced services than those who fight to defend the nation and preserve the peace,” Spiwak said in a prepared statement to the Daily Breeze. The WGS had been scheduled to launch Tuesday, but a data anomaly involving the Atlas V launch vehicle led the Air Force to delay a day. The fourth WGS satellite is scheduled for launch in 2011, with the fifth in 2012. [email protected] local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! MILITARY: Device built in El Segundo has greater defense capacity than earlier models. By Muhammed El-Hasan STAFF WRITER A Boeing-built satellite will launch into orbit today to help propel the U.S. military into an age of more powerful communications.
SANTA CLARA — No one seems to care how Russell Wilson threw four touchdown passes against the 49ers on Dec. 2. Instead, it’s another of his throws that’s all the rage heading into Sunday’s rematch when his Seattle Seahawks visit the 49ers.When Wilson picked up linebacker Fred Warner’s stray shoe and chucked it to the side, that triggered a series of unfortunate events for the 49ers, and it cost coach Kyle Shanahan a $25,000 fine he’s appealing.“What I would like? For common sense to prevail, …
ALAMEDA — A big headache left the building for the last time Saturday.So did 100-plus catches, 1,300-plus yards and double digit touchdowns.Life without Antonio Brown begins for the receiving corps when the Raiders host the Denver Broncos at the Coliseum Monday night before a national television audience. Click here if you’re unable to view the photo gallery on your mobile device. It’s not as if the Raiders haven’t been there before, considering the vast amount of training camp …
Napoli 3 Feyenoord 1: Hosts dedicate goals to injured Milik in comfortable win Ben Spratt Last updated 2 years ago 04:44 27/9/2017 Getty Images Napoli made light work of Feyenoord in the Champions League on Tuesday, taking time out to pay tribute to injured star Arkadiusz Milik. Arkadiusz Milik’s Napoli team-mates dedicated goals to the injured star as they got off the mark in the Champions League with a comfortable 3-1 win over Feyenoord on Tuesday.While Milik was not involved after suffering a cruel blow against SPAL in Serie A – his second ruptured cruciate ligament in a year – the Poland international was not far from hearts and minds in Naples.Lorenzo Insigne’s opener saw the goalscorer hunt down his team-mate’s shirt and Dries Mertens, after scoring again at the start of the second half, looked to the camera to display an “M” in recognition of the forward. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Why Barcelona god Messi will never be worshipped in the same way in Argentina Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing Megan Rapinoe: Born & brilliant in the U.S.A. Both sides had lost their opening matches in Group F, but Napoli’s reverse at Shakhtar Donetsk had been rather tighter than Feyenoord’s home humbling at the hands of Manchester City.And there was again a gulf between the Dutch side and their opponents, even if the score-line still showed only Insigne’s seventh-minute strike at half-time.Mertens’ 50th Napoli goal at the San Paolo soon came, though, and Jose Callejon added a third after Pepe Reina kept out a Jens Toornstra penalty at the other end, before a consolation for Feyenoord and Sofyan Amrabat arrived in stoppage time.FULL TIMEGreat performance of Napoli: #NapoliFeyenoord 3-1 pic.twitter.com/p25xgEbgtR— Official SSC Napoli (@en_sscnapoli) September 26, 2017Mertens was back in the Napoli side after Sarri’s brave – and costly – decision to rest his main man against Shakhtar, but it was Insigne who made the early impact, taking possession in the middle of the pitch and bursting forward to drive a fine effort into the bottom-left corner.And Insigne, intending to show his support for the injured Milik, ran to the bench to initially celebrate with a shirt bearing Piotr Zielinski’s name – courtesy of the midfielder – before correcting the error with a grin.Feyenoord’s response was laboured and, after a lull in play, they were fortunate not to fall two behind as Brad Jones took a heavy touch and scrambled to knock the ball away from the waiting Insigne.Jones shakily intervened again with an untidy parry from Insigne’s strike, but the goalkeeper was quickly back in action to make a far more convincing double-save from Mertens and Jorginho.Marek Hamsik and Insigne each shot wide as Napoli ended the first half firmly on top.The visitors held out for just four minutes of the second half before Mertens’ goal arrived, though, with the forward given time and space to coolly slide a finish under Jones before again giving a nod to Milik.50 – Dries Mertens has scored his 50th goal for Napoli at the San Paolo in all competitions. Home. #NapoliFeyenoord— OptaPaolo (@OptaPaolo) September 26, 2017Steven Berghuis and Karim El Ahmadi belatedly offered a response – both thumping hard and low at Reina – but Feyenoord initially found no way through the goalkeeper.Reina brilliantly denied Toornstra from 12 yards after Berghuis had gone down under Faouzi Ghoulam’s challenge, giving Callejon the platform to net the clinching third on the counter-attack two minutes later, sliding a finish across Jones.The Napoli goalkeeper unbelievably saved once more when Tonny Vilhena inadvertently deflected Berghius’ shot on target, but he could do little to stop Amrabat as he charged into the box and prodded into the net with the game’s final action. Key Opta Facts:- In opening the scoring for Napoli against Feyenoord, Lorenzo Insigne netted the 400th goal by an Italian player in Champions League history (excluding own goals).- Insigne’s goal was the third that Feyenoord have conceded in the opening 10 minutes of games in the Champions League this season – no other team has conceded more than one. – Dries Mertens scored his 50th goal for Napoli at the Stadio San Paolo in all competitions. read more
The court is the final authority on disputes concerning the interpretation and application of the Revised Treaty of Chaguaramas, which established the CSME. Attorney General, Marlene Malahoo Forte, says that the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) is a critical component in the regional integration movement and the functioning of the CARICOM Single Market and Economy (CSME). Story Highlights Mrs. Malahoo Forte was addressing the opening ceremony of the CCJ Academy of Law’s 5th Biennial Conference at The Jamaica Pegasus hotel, New Kingston, on December 13. Attorney General, Marlene Malahoo Forte, says that the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) is a critical component in the regional integration movement and the functioning of the CARICOM Single Market and Economy (CSME).The court is the final authority on disputes concerning the interpretation and application of the Revised Treaty of Chaguaramas, which established the CSME.Mrs. Malahoo Forte was addressing the opening ceremony of the CCJ Academy of Law’s 5th Biennial Conference at The Jamaica Pegasus hotel, New Kingston, on December 13.She noted that the CCJ is the highest appellate body in CARICOM member states, which are parties to the agreement on its establishment, and in that regard, considers and determines appeals in both civil and criminal matters from the courts within those territories.Some member states, including Jamaica, have not yet implemented the agreement establishing the CCJ as the final Court of Appeal.The Attorney General pointed out that the establishment of the CSME was meant to be an impetus for deepening the integration movement, to better respond to the challenges and opportunities presented by globalisation.She said that the Revised Treaty provides the legal basis for CARICOM and sets out its objectives, its structures and key areas of endeavour, while also providing for the decision-making authority of the organs and bodies of the community, whose decisions contribute to the development of community law and policy.It also reinforces the main pillars of the community – economic integration, functional cooperation and foreign policy coordination.“In 2005, the Conference of Heads of Government established security as the fourth pillar of the community coming out of the growing threat to citizen security and other regional assets and institutions,” Mrs. Malahoo Forte noted.She noted that the objectives of the Revised Treaty outline the economic aspirations of regional integration.“However, there is the view among many that these objectives need to be expanded to articulate more clearly, the desired human and environmental outcome of the community. As the community matures, it is anticipated that stronger mechanisms will exist for deeper dialogue, and I believe this conference is one such example,” she stated.The Attorney General, in her address, called on CARICOM member states to implement all aspects of the free movement agenda, including the recently signed Protocol on Contingent Rights.The protocol was adopted and opened for signature at the 39th Regular Meeting of the Conference of Heads of Government of the Caribbean Community held in Montego Bay from July 4 to 6.It grants rights to CARICOM nationals exercising the right of establishment, provision of services, movement of capital or free movement of skills. Spouses and immediate dependants are also entitled to enjoy these rights.The three-day CCJ Academy of Law conference, which concludes on December 15, involves partnership with the General Legal Council of Jamaica.Others participating in the opening ceremony include Minister of Justice, Hon. Delroy Chuck; Chairman of the General Legal Council, Allan Wood; President of the Court of Appeal, Hon. Justice Dennis Morrison; and CCJ President, Justice Adrian Saunders.
Arsenal boss Unai Emery reckons it will be a difficult proposition to impose themselves on Manchester City when they trade tackles on Sunday.Teams like Leicester City, Crystal Palace and Newcastle have all adopted a defensive style and counter-attacking tactics to defeat Man City this season.But Emery concedes. Arsenal may struggle to take a proactive approach into the game at the Etihad.Impressive finish, @DenisSuarez6 👌Over five minutes of training footage now available on our @YouTube channel 📺— Arsenal FC (@Arsenal) February 1, 2019“Usually Manchester City, in every match they impose their style,” he told Sky Sports.“You want to impose your style, you want to play with your personality, but sometimes you need adaptation – more or less, it depends on the opposition.“It is tough to break their style and impose yours. When a lot of teams play with a profound block, it’s because they need to play like that and can also have chances to win.“Usually you can play ten matches against Manchester City – maybe Newcastle, maybe Crystal Palace, perhaps us as well – you can lose ten times playing the same, or possibly lose seven, draw two and win one.Report: Kanu makes bold claim about Pepe George Patchias – September 13, 2019 Former Arsenal superstar Kanu claims the Premier League teams fear Nicolas Pepe.The Ivory Coast international Pepe, made an 80 million Euro move to Arsenal…“But this style can work for you as Newcastle and Crystal Palace won against them.”Arsenal was thumped 5-1 at Liverpool in December as they tried to impose their style of play, but the former PSG boss claims he’s unfazed by the loss and will maintain his form.“They are two different teams,” he said of City and Arsenal.“Different manner of playing, but with a huge organisation, huge managers and also big players.“For example, the progress from Liverpool is significant progress, and now they are the favourites because they have the lead.“Maybe Manchester City is a different example because they paid a lot and maybe we can’t do that now like that, but our way is we can also do one way similar to Liverpool, similar to Tottenham.“Doing more with young players, using well players who can improve with us. And we are doing that. We need time, but also we need to be very demanding of ourselves to do that.”👔 @UnaiEmery_ put the squad through their final training session this afternoon📸 Here’s a look at what happened ahead of our trip to Manchester for #MCIARS— Arsenal FC (@Arsenal) February 2, 2019